Friday, November 14, 2014

Slammed in the Hospital again

I am composing this entry from my desk at work, still in the clothes I wore to work yesterday. Gross I know! Maddy got a bit of a sore throat on Wednesday and was running a very low grade fever so she "kept an eye on things" through Thursday. Then around 5:30 on Thursday she spiked a fever of 101 so she called the doctor. Of course they said to go to the ER so off we went. At least this time she wasn't hallucinating! After many pokes and rays later they said she is sick and will be admitted to the hospital. Duh! Of course there were no beds available on the main floor so we were moved to a holding area of sorts around midnight. The rooms are about the same size as a ER room but with a regular hospital bed instead of a gurney. I of course sat up in a chair all night. Dr. Rolf came in this morning and said she has pneumonia. They are going to start her on some antibiotics and keep her until they get her lungs clear.

It's amazing to me how quickly the poor little thing can go from totally fine to being on her death bed. I guess even with all the crap she goes through we forget how fragile her system is. Her cough Wednesday night was a little elevated but nothing scary or excessive. By this morning she sounded like she did just before her transplant again. Scary!

The other scary thing is the antibiotics they need to use to treat her pneumonia are the kind she is allergic to. So they will be doing the whole desensitization thing again. That always scares me.

Anyway I'm going to knock out my Friday work and get back to the hospital to hang with her for the weekend, maybe longer. Please start praying if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment