Sunday, June 26, 2011

Asleep At Last



It has been a crazy ride. The last two days has felt like a week. Maddy was finally ex-tubated on June 23rd at around 1:00 in the afternoon. I had spent the entire night with her from the 22nd to the morning of the 23rd and was not able to sleep because of a group in the waiting room watching international soccer! I was able to be there in the morning when Dr. Rolf came by and discussed the plans for that day with Maddy. She was very insistent, through her pantomime, about getting the tube out that day. Dr. Rolf understood exactly what she wanted. He had her blow through her tube and watched the numbers on the vent screen. Told her everything looked good, her chest X-ray was clear and her numbers looked good. He wanted her to get her next plasma pheresis before lowering the ventilator one more notch and testing her again. If all went well she would have it out. She was very happy with that answer. So happy she gave him a hard time about nicking one of the IV lines she had in her neck the day before when he was putting the new lines in for the plasmapheresis. The line started leaking meds, not any blood, and freaked Maddy out for a little while the day before. he got all puffy and called BS about the whole thing. Then told the nurse never mind, leave her hooked up to that thing forever! LOL, Dr. Rolf is our kind of guy and has exactly the same sense of humor as we do. It was great seeing Maddy laughing over the vent. I went home after they started her plasmapheresis around 10AM and told Natalie to call if anything went wrong otherwise text and don’t expect an answer because I was going to be sleeping!


I got a text Around 1:00 with a picture of Maddy and Natalie, no vent tube and two thumbs up. However, as I mentioned in my last blog it seems like every time the girl gets to take a step forward she has to take two steps back. She and Natalie had a good day but apparently lurking underneath Maddy’s happiness about getting off the vent was a bunch of built up anxiety, about everything and nothing. By the time I got there at 8:45 that night Maddy was in a full panic attack. I got two calls from the nurse on duty and a call from Natalie as I was heading down to the hospital. Poor Maddy, all hopped up on narcotics for days on end and huge amounts of steroids had finally cracked. Let me say that I have not experienced a full panic attack and I hope I never have to endure one. I have been on a moderate course of steroids and I can say from that experience that they put your teeth on edge. Everything got on my nerves for no reason and anything could just set me off on a rampage. I have experience with people on prednisone so I expected these side effects. I warned everyone in the family and I hid in my room. A LOT. Poor Maddy had no where to go and literally hundreds of nagging little things going on to and around her. By the night of the 23rd she was so tired of it all and so worked up there was nothing to do but help her poor little body ride it out. I did not pretend to know what she was going through and neither did her nurse. Her nurse that evening kept trying to encourage Maddy and told her many times how strong she was and that she could not imagine going through what Maddy was going through. We had the nurse call the doctor and try to get Maddy some anxiety medicine. Dr. Rolf ordered her Xanax. That helped take the edge off just enough for Maddy to get about 30 minutes sleep.


In an attempt to shorten this long blog entry I will simply say that Maddy spent the next 36 hours in a full anxiety / panic attack. I stayed up with her all night from the 23rd to the 24th. Then Natalie took over around 10AM. Maddy had calmed down by then and was getting a little rest under the influence of benadryl while getting her plasmapheresis. Just before I left she told me that she thought the vibrating the plasmapheresis did had set off her anxiety the day before. I said I was glad she was taking it better that morning. I should have known better. I had to go to work and Natalie was up again that day, when I checked in she said that Maddy was still having high anxiety and panicky. She got the nurse to contact the Psychiatrist. Dr. Mendoza, who is in charge of all the transplant patients. He ordered a long acting anti-anxiety medication on top of the Xanax and promised Maddy that she was doing just fine and the feelings she had were normal. That didn’t help much. I thought for sure that by that evening, after pretty much being up for 24 hours that Maddy would relax and sleep. Melissa was up next for the night shift and I was wrong. Maddy was up all night again. Lots of anxiety and panic over nothing she could put her finger on. Everything bothered her and nothing felt right. I was back at the hospital again this morning at 8:30 and by then Maddy seemed to finally be calming down. As the day progressed Maddy was able to get more and more composure. As I sat with her all day I just prayed and prayed that the worst was past.


By the time I swapped with Natalie at 5PM this evening Maddy was back to her old self, mostly. I could still see that she was on the edge. She was definitely very tired. Yesterday through all her anxiety they continued her tests and removing tubes. She passed her swallow test and was allowed to get real food. She was able to get out of bed and to the potty chair so they removed the catheter. They also removed the feeding tube from her nose. With less tethers and a little more freedom of movement along with the meds and tiredness she was finally able to get past the anxiety. She and I had a very good day. I spent all day being her servant and making sure she had everything she needed. I read her favorite childhood story, Winnie The Pooh, and we had some great conversations. We talked a lot about the things that were bothering her and I think she was able to get most of it out. I’m pretty sure the perspective helped but could tell that she was still a little foggy with the side effects of all the medications coursing through her little body. I’m writing this at about 10:30. As of 9:30 Maddy told Natalie she could go home for the night and then she went to sleep. Natalie told Maddy she would stick around tonight just in case but that she would leave her alone to rest. Hopefully she will not be needed but I’m glad she will be available if Maddy wakes up and needs a hand to hold.


As far as Maddy’s lungs are concerned things are looking very good so far. Honestly I am still a little hesitant to say that everything is fine. Obviously from the above it is not. But her numbers are good. She is down to 2 liters of O2 an hour through her nose, Which is almost nothing. Her lungs are expanding and she is able to blow up to 500 on the inhalation spirometer. She is able to cough up little plugs of mucus, which I’m told is very impressive because nobody knows how to cough with new lungs right away, and they have turned from bright red to light brown streaks. That means that her lungs are not bleeding and are sloughing off the old material and blood so she can get rid of it. The doctors will continue to go in through bronchoscopes to clean that stuff out for a few months. Her O2 saturation was continually at 99 to 100% all day long. She didn’t even desaturate when she coughed or worked her inhalation spirometer. The only little thing of concern is that she still has a lot of fluid on her. Her hands, especially her left, and her feet and legs are still very puffy. The doctor said her x-ray is looking a little wet. He gave her more lasix today to help her pee it all off. But of course she is no longer catheterized so she has to get up to pee, but that is good for her. I am surprised how strong she is. With that said she is still VERY weak, being in bed for almost 20 days will do that to you. But she does all her physical therapy without complaint and even does stuff, like leg lifts, when they are not asking her too. She really wants to get well and get moving!


I think that’s all. The baby steps continue. We await the next hurdle in her recovery with great anticipation, even some anxiety (LOL). But know all the prayers for Maddy are pulling her through!


Peace...


Comment Transfer;

Stephanie
Baby steps are steps nonetheless... I am right there with you hoping and praying that she is on the upswing now!
Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 11:29 PM
Stephanie
First!

And Second, too!

;-)
Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 11:31 PM
Ariel an T.J.
awsome to hear that she is taking steps for the good you have all of us praying for you. Please let me know when we can vistit i know it will still be awhile but we want to see her as soon as we can tell her we love her and pray everyday for her and your family much love T.j. and Ariel
Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 02:16 AM
"Aunt" Toni
Wow,what a trying journey she is taking. It proves she has a strong will to live and she will get through this. With all of the support from her dad,her two mothers, friends, family, and even people that don't know her that well, she has the support and prayers that will make her get through this. Hang in there Maddy! It will get better.
Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 10:21 AM
Lee
Davis, thank you for this update. My friends in NC have been specifically praying for Madelyne about fear. They told me this in an email a day or so before you mentioned the anxiety. It is a reminder for all of us to give her to God and to not become fearful ourselves. God has not given us a spirit of fear.... I am so proud of her. She is doing things for herself to get better. She will continue to recover this way. She has had a lot of practice coughing in her lifetime and I am glad it has helped with her new lungs. Praying for her and her parents as you continue this journey. Especially praying for no fear. Love to you all.
Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 10:21 AM
Kevin Jones
That's great to hear that she is awake and talking. I pray the worst is behind her and things start going smoother for her. It is also good to hear her new lungs are getting better. The docs are right when they say its tough to cough stuff up that soon after transplant. It's VERY tough, good job Maddie, keep it up! Thanks for the updates Davis, I hope the next update has Maddie doing even better!

God Bless,
Kevin (Tom & Flo's nephew)
Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 12:09 PM
Purple Shark
No tube! And EATING!!!! And peeing! I am so very, very thrilled and happy to read all this. Really, I started crying reading this post. Thank you for spreading such great news. I'm glad you got to go home to rest and I'm glad Maddy is finally getting some rest, too. Yes, she still has a hard road ahead, but I am very confident that she'll be climbing mountains next week. All right, maybe next year. If she wants to, that is.
Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 03:20 PM
I said an extra prayer for you. HE must have been hearing a lot of prayers being said for a very special young lady. I feel your little steps will soon become big ones.
Judy Jones (Kevin - K.C.'s Mom)
Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 05:31 PM
Bob Meixner
Beginning to understand what 'cautiously optimistic' means. Liking the good news better than the no news so far. What a trooper that girl is...and you and Melissa and Natalie for sticking by her side through it all. I know from first hand experience how formidable she can be when she's in a 'mood'.
Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 05:40 PM
Nancy Lail
Still praying. I know the baby steps will turn into big steps and recovery.
with love,
nancy
Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 10:52 PM
Niki
Dear Madds,
I miss you so much, and I love you more than anything in the world. You're so strong and I'm so proud of you and I can't wait until you're all better and out of there so I can see you and give you a hug and tell you that I love you and I promise once you're home things will be different and no matter how busy I am, I'm gonna make Maddie time a priority. Get better soon sweety, I'm rooting for you and praying for you <3
Love, Niki
Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 11:46 PM
Eileen Menendez
We're so glad to hear that Maddy is taking some positive steps toward her healing, and we're all still praying and wishing good thoughts for her speedy recovery. Maddy you are awesome--keep up the good work! And Davis, get some well-deserved rest.

Eileen
Monday, June 27, 2011 - 11:33 AM
Susan Russo
I was very happy to hear this news. Thanks for the constant updates. Keep up the good work Maddy, and keep fighting to get better! You are in my thoughts and prayers! God has truly been by your side...we can do nothing without Him. :-)
Monday, June 27, 2011 - 02:22 PM
I was SO happy to see you today! You looked fabulous mads and I'm super proud of you. You are the most positive girls I know and I think dr. rolfe should make you a lung transplant spokesperson! You could bring great encouragement to others. You're amazing and I'm honored to have had the privilege of caring for you. Best wishes always tough girl.ch
Xoxo
Monday, June 27, 2011 - 08:18 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment